ah yes. now that the season has changed, the onslaught of dry skin and dullness starts to creep in. summer tans (
not that i ever saw the sun this year) and that post warm weather glow have faded. unfortunately, makeup tends to be drying and since that is the last thing we need, good skincare is absolutely essential in the next few months! last year, my post about skin was a huge hit! however, we bought a house this year and i wanted to buy more affordable products! i have done an overhaul of my routine and my skin has never looked better!
in the photo below (this was taken a couple days ago) i am not wearing anything but cherry chapstick. there is no fancy filter so you can see the differences in my skintone but note that i have a medium, with yellow undertones thing going on. ignore my dark circles, it was morning/pre-coffee
here’s a run down of my routine: products can be purchased online at sephora, iherb.com ($5 discount code:SAH578) or at whole foods.
AM: wash face with this acure cleansing creme
-follow up with this moisturizer or bb cream. that’s it!
PM: remove tinted moisturizer with this gel cleanser (i have combo skin that tends to be sensitive and this works great for me)! it’s gentle but effective and doesn’t strip the skin of it’s natural oils.
-tone the face with homemade rosewater lemon tonique
-apply the same moisturizer as above but with 2-3 drops of argan oil as a night time treatment. if i could pick just one product for making my skin so soft and supple it would be the argan oil. i was scared to put oil on my face for ages but it has made a HUGE difference in the texture of my skin and reduced breakouts. i only have a small flare around that time of the month these days and this stuff helps keep those blemishes tiny and manageable under makeup! note*: acure also makes an argan oil that i will be replacing my stash with when i run out!
once a week, i use a homemade mask that i learned about in india several years ago. it has been the best mask i’ve ever used. sure, store bought ones have great smells and tingles etc but they haven’t been able to reproduce the results i get from the homemade one!
here’s the recipe. . .
combine 1 tbsp plain yogurt or sour cream in a dish with 1tbsp sandalwood, 1tsp lemon juice and a tiny bit of rosewater to thin. apply creamy paste to your face and allow to dry (~15-20mins depending on how thick you spread it). gently remove with a warm wash cloth and tone!
your face will look so.crazy.amazing. you will have a more even skintone over time, oil production will reduce and the skin will be properly moisturized! read about lactic acid (from the yogurt) benefits here & sandalwood use in beauty here.
other misc tips that have helped my skin:
2. eat to nourish yourself and enjoy! i know it isn’t very trendy to be a female and enjoy eating steaks and what not but gelatin is so nourishing to your skin health.
3. eat.your.fats! coconut butter/oil, oily fish and avocado in particular help your skin’s mantle lock in the moisture
4. stress less! getting worked up about stuff causes your gut to react and manifests itself on your face…eeek! so chill out already
5. if you have an event coming up, lay off the coffee and wine! trade it in for herbal or green tea and you’ll get a nice glow.
6. exfoliate every now and then but not TOO often! depending on how your skin cell turnover is, try 1 or 2x a week at most. i like to just put some raw sugar or coffee grounds emulsified in honey and gently rub over freshly cleansed skin after my night time face wash. do NOT scrub!
let me know if you try out the mask! i have a ‘pumpkin’ one that i’ll share with you soon! tis the season! x