not that kind of green

hi everyone! many of you are probably celebrating st paddy’s day right now. it’s been another busy week and i promise to have our boracay experience up soon! in the meantime, i’ll share some green items making my weekend a little more special.

i wore my green today even though i’m not even the minuscule bit irish:
photo (3)

1. i snagged a ‘luck of the tuck’ deal my local pure barre studio was running! 4 classes at 50% off! that is a steal, and considering i haven’t been in the studio since last year; figured it would be a nice opportunity to get a little motivated in the fitness department!

2. this little red flower japan sento set. it sounds like an absolutely luxe treatment for face/body!

3. here’s my lunch today: homemade kimchi-stuffed onigiri with furikake seasoning. i’ve been eating primarily vegetarian/sometimes vegan since we got home from the trip. it’s just kind of been what i’ve been craving and we have a ridiculously good asian market that serves their fresh made tofu (3 huge blocks for $1)!! we are saving so much money by making southeast asian food, i’m shocked but happy! my diet has been largely comprised of white rice, mung bean noodles, lots of dark leafy greens, sea vegges & sesame products with some tofu.
photo

4. lastly, have you heard the new beck album?! he is BACK in a big way! i saw him at bonnaroo in 2006 and i have to say, this is his best work since sea change. i’ve been listening to him since i was in 8th grade! if you like singer-songwriter style, check out this album ‘morning phase!’ if you have spotify, listen to it here.

ok, enjoy your weekend and be safe! see you soon with the boracay recap :) x-melissa

13 Responses to not that kind of green

• lindsay says:
    March 16, 2014 at 1:21 am

gosh i love kimchi. and you look good in green. keep wearing it, irish or not

• Melissa says:
      March 16, 2014 at 5:57 pm

• Natalie Ross says:
    March 16, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Oooh, you’ve got me inspired to make some veggie sushi. Also, I really like your bed, are those drawers in it? Ikea?

• Melissa says:
    March 16, 2014 at 5:57 pm

yep! my entire house is basically from ikea :) good eye natalie!

• Purelytwins says:
    March 16, 2014 at 7:13 pm

love the green top, we were bad today and forgot to wear green — oops ;)

• Katie says:
    March 16, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I’m in head to toe green right now and it was completely unintentional. I mean….I meant to do it. :D

• Natalie Ross says:
    March 19, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Did you eat natto (fermented soybeans) on your trip? I’ve heard that people either think it’s delicious or disgusting. I’ve never had any because all the natto I can find around here has soy sauce with wheat in it. :(

• Melissa says:
      March 19, 2014 at 7:23 pm

i didn’t eat natto during the trip but i’ve had it a few times here! really? the store i buy it from has the soy sauce in a sealed packet so i just toss it and use tamari & my own mustard. check out this post: http://thedelicateplace.com/2012/05/03/it-smells-like-feet/ ^_*

• Dana Solof says:
    March 20, 2014 at 3:47 am

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip to Asia! I was wondering if you had introduced grains back into your diet before your trip or during? How did it feel? I am a huge believer in following what your body is telling you.

• Melissa says:
      March 20, 2014 at 1:30 pm

hey dana! i had been toying a bit with buckwheat groats in the form of pancakes and eating white rice a little pre-trip. however, while i was away for the two weeks i relied heavily on white rice because i couldn’t eat most noodles or udon having celiac disease. it felt pretty great! i still eat a high volume of vegetables and fish and all other meats probably 2-3x weekly. i am still eating that way and was pretty surprised that i actually lost more weight (unintentional) so now i’m trying to figure out how to put on a few lbs and maintain. my favorite starches right now besides white rice and mung bean pasta are the japanese purple sweet potato!

• Dana Solof says:
        March 20, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Oh man, I LOVE Japanese purple sweet potatoes! We have them most of the time at the natural food stores here in Portland. I was grain free for a long time and recently started adding back a little here and there, because it suddenly seemed like I needed some to feel satisfied. Buckwheat groats are a favorite of mine and very versatile!

• Katie says:
    April 3, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I saw Beck at Bonnaroo in 2006, too! Remember the puppets?! Love the new album.

• Melissa says:
      April 5, 2014 at 1:23 pm

of course i do!! <3 i think it’s his best since sea change!!