diy: the best cleanser ever & skincare update

face

happy skincare sunday to all! so. i have a little secret obsession with skin care. if you’ve been following the blog for some time you’ll know that i frequently switch up my products and share with you tips and tricks for healthy, clear and glowing skin. our skin is changing with exposure to the elements, stressors and hormonal fluctuations as we get older. it’s critical to pay attention to these and adjust your regimen accordingly. here’s what i was doing in 2012 and 2013.

i’ve learned so much along the way and the good news is that LESS IS MORE! yep, a stripped down routine is actually more beneficial to long term clear and healthy skin than assaulting it with harsh, drying lotions, serums and potions. many of you know i work in a lab and the hvac system keeps our work day climate constant. this translates to cold, (like 65F on a good day) and dry (9 or 10% humidity) conditions. basically, i might as well be a flight attendant since the lab air is on par with an airplane cabin in terms of what it does to my skin.

i love acure organics products but i was finding the gel cleanser to be too drying and the fruit oils a bit too irritating for my sensitive combo skin. i was fighting an uphill battle trying to over-moisturize while causing clogged pores on my forehead. no good. so i had to switch it up!

i decided to make my own cleanser adjusting this recipe to suit my needs*. i’ve been using it for the past two weeks and my skin is perfect again! all the clogged pores subsided and the tone of my skin is hydrated and smooth. it’s the only thing i’m using morning and evening to cleanse–2 pumps and i’m good! i stopped using moisturizer as well and have been spritzing rose water to tone in the morning for a bit of hydration. in the evening, i am exclusively using 3 drops of jojoba and 1 drop of rosehip oil as my pm ‘treatment.’ you guys. i know it’s a bit of a leap, but consider throwing out your cleansers and make your own. i was scared to do this but it has made a huge difference for the better!

diy face wash

*i made a 1/2 batch of this as a trial (this still makes enough face wash to last at least a month used am/pm!. also, i used manuka honey and here are some reasons why. i also decreased the amount of essential oil and tea tree by a few drops since i didn’t want to over dry my skin. most importantly, i stored this in a light protected glass bottle. even though many of the ingredients in this wash are antimicrobial, it’s important to remember that this will be stored in your bathroom so the less light/heat that gets in, the less likely something will go rancid.

would you ever consider making your own skincare products? it’s a shame that some of the most expensive products out there on the market actually cause more harm than good (chemicals cause irritation and photosensitivity)! if you have more than 3 products in your evening routine, you may want to reconsider one of them! the cream you use to hydrate might be rendered ineffective by a spot treatment or clog your pores. think about it!

10 Responses to diy: the best cleanser ever & skincare update

• GiGi Eats says:
    May 19, 2014 at 3:23 am

My skin is so very sensitive! I have been using the same regime for the past 14 years!! It seems to be working for me, so I really cannot change. I tried to change my moisturizer because my current one is mad expensive, but nope. My skin = DIVA and wants the most expensive, LOL!

• Melissa says:
      May 19, 2014 at 4:21 pm

wow! i can’t imagine using the same stuff i did as a teen (my skin would be so stripped haha). i’m glad you were able to find a routine that works for you. sometimes the hardest part is sticking out a change. perhaps, your skin was going through a purge when you tried to switch moisturizers? i always try to give something new a chance for 2-4wks before ‘breaking up’ with the product.

• Mego says:
    May 20, 2014 at 1:39 am

I used to make my own makeup remover, and I really loved it. Do you have any suggestions for DIY shampoo?? I’ve been thinking of getting into this.

• Melissa says:
      May 20, 2014 at 6:37 pm

don’t you love when homemade beauty products work so well? i feel like a life-hacker sometimes haha. as for the DIY shampoo, i’ve tried the baking soda route and it’s just messy so i can’t be of much help there. however, i do use a diluted ACV rinse as my ‘conditioner’ once a week and it helps remove build-up from product and helps de-tangle my mane :) i just put 1/8 to 1/4c apple cider vinegar in a blender bottle and then fill it up to the top with warm water. i take it up to the shower and after i rinse out the shampoo, just pour a little over at a time and work it onto my head from scalp to tips. just be sure to keep your eyes shut tight! i had a bit of a burning situation when i didn’t close them tight enough whoops!

• Mego says:
        May 20, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Oh cool!!

• Kristina says:
    May 20, 2014 at 3:10 am

I need to try this – I have sensitive skin too and have a tough time finding cleansers that work for me. Right now I’m using TJ’s tea tree oil face wash, but I think it might be a little too harsh. This looks like it could be just right!

• Melissa says:
      May 20, 2014 at 6:33 pm

i know that TJ’s wash! it was too drying for me, i’d give this one a try! feel free to add more honey to it for more moisturizing effects :)

• Purelytwins says:
    May 24, 2014 at 2:16 am

yep we make our own blend for washing ;) but love this idea of adding in honey, we will have to try it

• Melissa says:
      May 29, 2014 at 3:20 pm

i know some use raw honey but i think manuka is absolutely the best choice for facial care.

• Amber Karlson says:
    May 29, 2014 at 1:52 am

Great post! You are definitely right that less is more when it comes to skincare. This DIY recipe looks fantastic, I’ve pinned it to try for later!